Resources for Military Families

Thank you for the commitment you are making to our country. This community is proud to have you represent us in securing our freedom and the freedom of those who may be oppressed.

We recognize you may have some unplanned needs as a result of this change in your family and your community is available to assist you in trying to meet those needs. There are many agencies that provide low-cost services and in some cases, can scale down fees in order to assist you. You will see some of them listed below.

Where do I start?

American Red Cross—Mountain Valley Chapter

In 1905, the U.S. Congress granted a charter to the American Red Cross that required it to act "in accord with the military authorities as a medium of communication between the people of the United States and their armed forces." Since then, the Red Cross has provided communications and other humanitarian services to help members of the U.S. military and their families around the world.

Utah County location:
865 North Freedom Blvd.
Provo, UT 84604-3315
Phone: 801-373-8580
Fax: 801-375-8434

General Privileges All family members eligible dependents must enroll in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility System (DEERS) and obtain ID cards at the ID card facility or command Unit Family Readiness Office. Also downloadable readiness toolkit for National Guard family members is available here.
Health Care/Medical Benefits
(family members must be enrolled in DEERS)

Eligible family members may be treated on a space available basis at any medical treatment facility (MTF)

Availability is often very limited, therefore a desirable option is TRICARE (information on TRICARE is available from the Beneficiary Counselor and Assistance Coordinator at any MTF, contact numbers can be found at or by calling 1-888-363-5433)

For more information on VA medical benefits call 1-877-222-8387.

Dental Benefits Dental Insurance Program
DoD sponsors a voluntary dental insurance program for eligible family members as an alternative to treatment in a military dental treatment facility. Resources are extremely limited and it's unlikely that dependents will be able to receive treatment in facilities for uniformed services. Additionally, there is no entitlement to dependent care in a military dental treatment facility when service member is active duty 30 days or less.

TRICARE Dental Program

Legal Assistance Contact nearest legal assistance office
Emergency Food Assistance Community Action Services
Located at 815 South Freedom Blvd,Suite 100,Provo, Utah 84601. Call 373-8200.
Military Basic Pay The rate of pay is based on the member's rank/pay grade and years of service. A member serving on active duty is entitled to basic pay. Current pay and allowance tables can be found at
Military Allowances Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)
This allowance is intended to provide a partial subsidy for food. Rates can be found at

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
This is intended to provide partial compensation for the cost of housing while the member serves on active duty.

Life Insurance Service member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
Elected enrollment when assigned to a unit or position when IDT and active duty may be required.
Commissary, Exchange, and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Benefits
Child Care DoD Child Development Programs (CDP)
Over 300 locations with approx. 800 child development centers and 9000 family childcare homes. Care is provided to children birth to twelve. DoD childcare is not an entitlement. The demand is high and spaces are limited. Contact command's family support group for more information.
Emergency Financial Assistance Contact your command's family support group, ombudsman, key volunteer network or family readiness point of contact.

Military Aid Societies by Service:
Army Emergency Relief:
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society:
Air Force Aid Society:
Coast Guard Aid Society:

Debt Reduction AAA Fair Credit
Debt counseling, credit management and other financial services. Call the Utah office at 1-800-351-4195.

Utah State University Extension
Provides budgeting classes. Call the Utah County location at 370-8460.

Maintenance Utah State University Extension
Home maintenance support. Call the Utah County location at 370-8460.
Mental Health/Counseling Eligible family members may be treated on a space available basis at any medical treatment facility (MTF)

American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services (AFES)
Helps military members and families cope with separation and other special needs related to service in the armed forces.

Find a Job Department of Workforce Services
The mission of the Utah Department of Workforce Services is to provide quality, accessible, and comprehensive employment related and supportive services responsive to the needs of employers, job seekers, and the community.
Civilian Job Rights and Protections Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) provides a broad range of civilian job protections

National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (NCESGR):
Call 800.336.4590 for assistance when experiencing problems with civilian employment.

Assistant Secretary for Veteran's Employment and Training and the Department of Labor (DoL):
An individual covered by USERRA can file a complaint if an employer has failed or refused, or is about to fail or refuse, to comply with employment or reemployment rights and benefits.


The Soldiers and Sailor Civil Relief Act of 1940 under certain conditions provides temporary relief from mortgage payments for active-duty military members.

Community Action Services
Free tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities classes, call 373-8200.

Please feel free to call the United Way at 801-374-2588 with any questions.